99U has the most amazing quote in all their communication.
'Genius is 1% inspiration & 99% perspiration.'
That 99% play crucial role to decide what we know as success. Few best examples are
- Edison bulb invention - 10000 prototype
- Sylvester Stallone for Rocky pitched to 100+ producers
- Sander's KFC was rejected by more than 64 hotel chain & was food truck before it became retail store
- Rovio, company behind Angry Bird made 51 not so successful games
- James Dyson, created 5100+ prototype before Dyson vacuum cleaner final design
- Picasso created some 100+ masterpiece s but created 50000 plus art pieces.
- Malcom Gladwell Outlier advise - one need to put 10000 hours of practice for being the best in world
Seth Godin has advised to poke the box as much as one can. One must know what don't work. Right efforts on right thing will trump everything. They are key ingredients to recipe of execution.
In nutshell, the number of efforts is directly proportional to success rate of anything.
Do more than expected, required, asked. There is no harm in it. An extra mile will only take you further & farther.
Hence always focus on perspiration part, but this time make it 99.99%.